Hyde Hall Car of The Show

This year’s Car of the Show was judged by last years winner, Darrell Uden. After much deliberation it came down to two cars, but finally the decision was made and Darrell chose this beautiful 1957 Austin Healey 100-6 owned by Alan Pigney.

TDG 521 is an original UK right hand drive car, built at the Longbridge factory in Birmingham on 17th July 1957 and first registered on 27th August of that year.

Production of the 100-6 was transferred to the MG factory at Abingdon in Oxford later in 1957 and continued until 1959, when it was replaced by the 3000 model.

Originally of 2639cc, the engine capacity has been increased to 2912cc together with various other engine modifications by marque specialist John Chatham carried out in the late 1980’s.

The updated “six port” cylinder head of the period (now modified for unleaded petrol) has been fitted, together with 1.75 inch SU carburettors.

Factory fitted “extras” were 48-spoke wire wheels, overdrive, adjustable steering column and a heater.

Over the past 30 years or so the car has had some other carefully chosen improvements including:

Front disc brakes

Conversion to a negative earth electrical system with alternator

An uprated clutch

Thermostatic electric cooling fan

Full stainless steel exhaust system

Colour coded inertia reel seat belts

LED lighting upgrade

The original colour scheme of Healey Blue over Ivory White has been retained throughout.

Our Area 33 Chairman, Howard Long, presented the Certificate and Trophy to Alan Pigney.